Sunday 22 November 2015

Why make a blog about playlists?


Hi! Thanks for visiting this page to journey in looking at trends within playlists and playlisting as a form.

I've started this blog as a way to connect further and ask questions about an area of music I am passionate about, interested in and involved with daily. Playlists!

Key questions I hope to pose and answer will be as much to do with the artistic form of how tracks are chosen and the editorial side as it will effective marketing techniques , good practice and asking questions on new developments.

To give you my background I grew up listening to the radio and the music in my parents car and loved it. My dad played classical music interspersed  with the Police, Camel, The Orb and Supertramp. My mum is a true child of the 60's so the Beatles era through to Enya and Kate Bush. One of my favourite radio shows was Paul Conroy on Galaxy 101 on Sunday afternoons. His blend of funk and soul massively influenced me and got me into the genre.

From this interest I learnt to DJ and mix , did stints at hospital radio and my local bbc station as well as co founding a station at UWE in Bristol called The Hub. This led to work at hmv and then into the music industry proper where I help to sell records to key accounts like Amazon.

The first place I was really able to make a playlist was burning a cd of tracks from a computer to an audio disc from iTunes. It was so easy compared to tape and mini disk. I used to make compilations of funk soul and disco, often for the purposes of having 'go to' CDs for the car or DJing.

Of course having to pay for a download and then burn the cd was a long process but I felt I owned it a bit more. I still pay for downloads alongside LPs  CDs and streaming now so in terms of my favoured platform I like elements of all of them.

Anyway enough of me.. onwards to the juicy part..

No comments:

Post a Comment